Monday, April 18, 2016

N is for Noise

http://static.dnaindia.com/sites/default/files/2016/01/05/411253-noise.jpg
I have a few ideas of where my intolerance for noise comes from. I won't bore you with those theories. Suffice it to say that noise bothers me immensely.

I cannot shut out background noise, which becomes as prominent to me as the ongoing conversation I am having. They call this attention deficit. I call it unavoidable attention. If I had a choice, I wouldn't hear background noise.

China is definitely the wrong geography for  someone who cannot stand noise. Noise thrives in Chinese cities.

The language is tonal and loud.
Ringtones are intense and the shriller the better, it seems.
Headphones...not required to play media in public transport. No one frowns upon anyone for playing videos on a train. Unless I happen to be there, of course.
Radio on taxis is played loud.
Honking while driving is mandatory.
The cacophony of music playing form two or three sources at the same time doesn't seem to bother anyone but me.
Kids are encouraged to be seen and heard.
The cleaning staff of a hotel will stand at your door and scream at one another at 5.30 am, and be genuinely surprised when you open your door to ask them to be quiet. The quiet doesn't ever last long.
There seems to be no place or time when being noisy is discouraged, I believe.

I used to think of those bulky headphones as a fashion item that I would never have any use for. Until recently, when while bored at an airport, I discovered they have noise-cancellation devices. One of my best purchases ever. A dream come true. Headphones with a little switch that muff unwanted noise out. If I play quiet music, the noise disappears completely.

Who said that happiness cannot be purchased?

--
Dying to read what Robin has to say about Noise and China! http://startingfromzed.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment